Relatively Impartial

As one of the nation’s youth; I’m aware of the stereotypical view, (and the most logical due to the impact for my generation), Brexit is bad. And like 48.1% of the UK, I do agree that Britain should have voted to remain in the EU. However, I can understand some of the reasons behind the other 51.9% voting to leave the European Union. Therefore, I would say that, in many ways, my political stance towards this controversial, yet topical issue, would be – well, relatively impartial.

On a whole, considering Britain’s participation has being recovering from its crisis-like state in 2001, in which there was only a 59% turnout in the General Election, the turnout for the EU Referendum was pretty good. Whilst in countries such as Sweden that regularly hold referendums, usually resulting with a turnout between 40 and 60%, Britain’s Brexit turnout was just higher, at 64%. Yet, interestingly enough; 70% of 18-24-year olds voted to remain. The life expectancy of this age group is currently averaged at 90 years old, meaning that this group will, on average, live 69 years with the effects of Brexit. 69 years. A hell of a long time living with the consequences of a largely uneducated outcome to leave an organisation that we so worked so hard to join.

Yet, as much as those statistics may have painted such dire imagery for the future of our country, there are some silver linings. For example, on leaving the EU, Britain will have access to free international trade, which will enable us to negotiate new economic deals and give us a chance to freely, internationally speaking. Not only that but Britain will no longer have to pay the extortionate membership cost of £13.1 billion. Yet, this policy of the Leave campaign caused a large amount of argument after the result of the Referendum. The membership fee itself was exploited by Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage, by them announcing that the £350 million paid into the EU per week would be new funding for the NHS; even writing this policy onto a bus. However, just hours after the results of the Referendum came in, Farage said in an interview on ‘Good Morning Britain’ that he never pledged such a policy – even though this was a policy that may have swayed the vote towards leave.

Now, I’m not saying that to leave the EU is the best decision we’ve made as a country, and personally I would prefer to have remained. Yet, democracy is democracy, and it would be highly undemocratic to undo the results of the Referendum. By this point, I think it’s okay to say that we’re in too deep, as a country on a whole, with Brexit negotiations to make a U-turn.

On the plus side, one can only hope that Brexit puts Britain off of the Conservative Party for a few elections.

Written by Emma Scaife

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: